Household Trash Collection Details
- Household trash is collected twice weekly except during weeks with holidays.
- Household trash includes all household waste and food scraps that cannot be collected through the residential recycling or yard waste collections.
- Large items (other than metal, appliances or tires) can be included with the regular household trash curbside collection.
- View the Household Trash Collection Schedule.
Preparing Household Trash for Collection
- Place items for collection at the curb prior to 7 a.m. on the day of your collection, but not prior to 5 p.m. the day before your collection.
- Trash should be in closed containers (32-gallon containers are a good size for household trash) or tied bags.
- Containers and bags must weigh less than 50 lbs when filled.
- Place large trash items next to trash containers for collection on regular scheduled trash collection days.
- Animal Waste(kitty litter, dog waste) and human waste (diapers) must be double bagged.
- Medicines and Needles. While unused medicine may be placed in household trash, for safety reasons, residents are encouraged to turn in unused medicines at periodic Prescription Drug Take Back events, or to visit the Federal Drug Administration's web site concerning safe disposal of unused medicines. Needles, syringes, lancets and other sharp objects can be placed in puncture-proof, hard plastic containers you can't see through. Then place the sealed container with your household trash --- never in a recycling bin.
- All regular household trash and food scraps.
- Empty or dry latex paint cans. To dispose of old cans of latex paint please make sure all paint is dried (if not, it will leak from trucks onto roadways!). You can dry it quickly by removing the lids and / or adding kitty litter to absorb the paint.
- Large items (except for metal and appliances) can also be disposed of with household trash.
The following items will not be picked up with household trash:
- Items that can be recycled through the City's Residential Recycling Program
- Liquids of any type
- Hazardous materials
- Compressed gas cylinders (propane, air, other gasses)
- Car parts
- Construction debris (concrete, bricks, lumber, windows, doors)
- Dirt, sod, mulch, rocks
- Stumps larger than 6” in diameter
- Ammunition or firearms
Large or Bulky Items
- Large items may be placed at the curb next to your household trash containers for collection on your regular household trash collection day.
- Large trash items include those items other than appliances that are not all metal. Items such as wooden furniture, upholstered furniture (couches, chairs) and plastic toys.
- No appointment is required; large trash items will be collected if placed at the curb by 7 a.m. with your regular household trash.
- Metal items, appliances, and tires are collected through a special pickup so they may be recycled.
Tips to Reduce Trash
- Donate items. Consider donating items to charitable organizations. Some organizations offer free collection services.
- Recycle. Unlimited quantities of acceptable recyclables will be collected at your curb on your residential recycling collection day each week. All paper and cardboard, and all plastic, metal, and glass food and drink containers can be co-mingled in your City of Bowie recycling cart for the weekly collection.
- Other Recycling Resources: Recycle other items through other available resources. Please visit Other Recycling and Waste Disposal Resources for more information.
- Junk Mail. Also on the Other Recycling and Waste Disposal Resources page you will find tips on reducing junk mail.